How To Change Your IP Address
Whether to gain more privacy or access certain content, you can change your device’s IP address using the methods in this guide
- How to Change
- What is an IP Address
- Where to Find It
- Pros & Cons
Even though you may be in cyberspace, you’re still in a specific, virtual location defined by your IP address. But for those who want to stay private, get around government restrictions, and the like, changing your IP address is a simple first step. In this article, we’ll tell you how to change your IP address, step-by-step, along with providing you with more information about the types of IP addresses, the pros and cons of changing them, and more. Get your invisibility cloak ready because we’re about to go private or as private as you can be online.
See the exact steps to changing your IP address on an iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows computer. Also, learn why you would want to change your IP address in the first place.
» Do You Know: How to find the IP address on your iPhone
Pro Tip: Changing your IP address can help you get around website restrictions and censorship, but some apps and services use GPS location. If you’re having trouble changing your GPS location, read our Surfshark review . You’ll appreciate its GPS override feature.
Easily Change Your IP Address with a VPN
Whatever your reasons are for changing your IP address, whether to stream certain content or to gain privacy, using a VPN is one of the most secure ways to do so. A VPN cloaks your real IP address with its own server IP address, and it encrypts your browsing traffic so that no one else sees what you’re doing online. Change your IP address with a single mouse click with these VPNs that we tested ourselves:
Besides using a VPN to change your IP address, which we’ll discuss further below how to do, there are a few other ways to change your IP address.
One of the most straightforward ways is to adjust your device’s settings. This, however, only works if your network has an available address to which you can change your current IP address. In addition, your new IP address will still be tied to your local network, and thus, it can be geo-tracked to your approximate location just like the old one.
How to Change Your IP Address on Mac Manually
- Go to System Settings...
- Click Network.
- Click Wi-Fi.
- Click Details...
- Click TCP/IP.
- Under Configure IPv4, change the drop down to Manually.
- Type in your IP address.
How to Change Your IP Address on Windows 11 Manually
- Click on the Start Menu.
- Navigate to Control Panel.
- Click Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Change Adapter Settings.
- Where it says Wi-Fi or Local Area Connection, right click.
- Click Properties.
- Select TCP/IPv4/ Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Click Use The Following IP Address.
- Type in the IP address and then click Ok.
How to Change Your IP Address on Android Manually
- Go to your Android Settings.
- Navigate to Wireless & Networks.
- Click on your Wi-Fi network.
- Click Modify Network.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Change the IP address.
How to Change Your IP Address on iOS Manually
- Go to your iOS device’s Settings.
- Click the network that you are connected to.
- Under IPv4 Address, tap Configure IP.
- Click on Manual.
- Enter your IP address.
How to Change Your IP Address on Router Manually
- Turn off your router.
- Turn it back on a day later.
- Go to your administrative interface and reconnect to your ISP.
After turning the device back on, you can check your routers IP address to see if it changed. If you want your device to pick a new IP address for you automatically, here’s what to do.
How to Change Your IP Address on Mac Automatically
- Go to your Mac’s System Settings app.
- Select ‘Details…’ under the Network Connection.
- Click Renew DHCP Lease.
- To confirm, click Apply.
How to Change Your IP Address on Windows Automatically
- Enter your Administrator Account.
- Click Start.
- Click Settings
- Go to Network & internet.
- Click Location Area Connection.
- Click Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Select Manage known networks.
- Click your network
- Click Edit next to IP assignment.
- Select Automatic and then save 1
How to Change Your IP Address on Android Automatically
- Click Settings.
- Select Connections.
- Select the network you’re on currently.
- Click Advanced.
- Select either DHCP or Static.
If you don’t already have a new IP address or you don’t want one the automatic address from your device, then you can connect to a Virtual Private Network or VPN. VPNs will replace your IP address and encrypt all of your web activity. You may get the same IP address every time you connect (static), or a different one each time (dynamic). Some VPNs also offer dedicated IP addresses, if you want to be the only one with that address.
How to Change Your IP Address with a VPN
- Download the VPN app .
- Create an account.
- Click Connect.
To learn more, read about the best VPN for every occasion or our comprehensive VPN guide .
A sister to VPNs is proxy servers , intermediary devices that hide IP addresses. 2 Here’s how to connect to a proxy server on your Mac, Windows, Android or iOS device.
How to Connect to Proxy Server on Mac
- Open Safari, Macs’ default browser.
- Under the Proxies section, click Change Settings.
- Update the Settings with the information that the network administrator provided.
How to Connect to Proxy Server on Windows
- Open your Settings.
- Click Network & internet.
- Click Proxy.
- Click Set up under the automatic or manual section.
- Enter your proxy information.
- Click Save.
How to Connect to Proxy Server on Android
- Go to your Android’s Settings.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Select your networks’ name.
- Hit Modify Network.
- Select Manual.
- Enter in your proxy port and hostname.
How to Connect to Proxy Server on iOS
- Enter your phone or tablet’s Settings.
- Click on the “I” button next to the network you are using.
- Click HTTP Proxy.
- Click Manual.
- Change the setting from Off to Manual.
- Enter in the Server and Port information needed.
- Save your information.
Tor is a secure browser that, along with hiding your IP address, will also prevent tracking and targeted ads. Once you’re off a website, its cookies will clear as will your browsing history . Both your IP address and your web activity will be encrypted not once, not twice but three times. 3 Just download the browser from Tor’s website to hide your IP address when browsing online!
What Is An IP Address?
Of course, some people may not be totally clear on what an IP address actually is; no shame here! An IP address, which standards for an internet protocol address, is a device’s identifying number associated with a specific computer or network of computers. Basically, IP addresses let computers send and receive information, but they can also be used to track the physical locations of users, 4 a nightmare for those concerned with privacy. And according to our VPN usage research , that accounts for 40 percent of VPN-users.
» How To: Get a US IP Address
Types of IP Addresses
Not all IP addresses are created equal! Rather, they can be divided into a few different categories, some of which have certain advantages over others.
- Public : Each and every internet-connected device has a public IP address, distributed by the Internet Service Providers vis-à-vis the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. What, you haven’t heard of ICANN? Nevertheless, these public IP addresses are searchable on the web, which is why we can find our printer simply by Googling its IP address .
- Private/ local : In contrast to public IP addresses, private IP addresses aren’t searchable on the web. Rather, they’re numbers that routers assign the devices on their networks so that they can communicate with each other.
- Dynamic : Dynamic IP addresses, as we mentioned before, are any type of IP address that change every time you connect, usually through a VPN. This makes users hard to track online, as their literal address keeps changing.
- Static : Static means that the IP addresses do not change. With VPNs, static IP addresses are usually shared with thousands of users in order to obscure their identities. However, some websites block these shared IP addresses, which necessitates users getting dedicated IP addresses. What a convenient transition!
- Dedicated : Dedicated IP addresses are assigned to only one user rather than being shared by several. They usually cost a different fee on top of the regular VPN subscription.
- IPv4 : Internet Protocol version 4 is used by 99 percent of networks, but since it can only store 4.3 billion addresses, it’s being replaced by IPv6, which we’ll get to in a second. Unlike IPv6, IPv4 addresses are four one bite numbers separated by dots like 555.555.1.1.
- IPv6 : While they’re only used by less than 1 percent of networks, IPv6 has its advantages over IPv4, namely that it can provide an infinite number of addresses. It also allows for larger payloads and is compatible with a greater number of mobile networks. Although they’re starting small, eventually, IPv6 will replace IPv4. 5
» Further Reading: Dynamic vs Static IP Address
Where To Find Your IP Address
Feeling lost in the sauce? Finding your IP address isn’t that complicated, even if you’re not a tech expert like us.
Your private information
My ip address.
My IP Information
Internet provider: T-mobile Usa, Inc.
Region/ State: District of Columbia
Browser name: Mobile Safari
Browser version: 17.1
Device brand: Apple
Device type: smartphone
Postal code: 20017
Where to Find Your IP Address on Mac
- Enter your Mac’s System Settings.
- Select Network.
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- Click Details…
- You’ll see your IP internal address listed.
Where to Find Your IP Address on Windows
- Enter your TaskBar.
- Click on Settings.
- Select your network.
- Click Wi-Fi Properties.
- Look under IPv4 Address.
Where to Find Your IP Address on Android
- Enter your phone’s Settings.
- Click About.
- Click Status.
- Look at the IP Address.
Where to Find Your IP Address on iOS
- Click on the “i” button next to Network.
Pros and Cons of Changing Addresses
Of course, there’s always the debate of whether or not to change your IP address in the first place. While the angel on your shoulder tells you it’s a great way to increase your privacy and access other country’s servers, the devil tells you that it could be costly, that some websites won’t work and that your ISP will still be able to see your address. There’s truth to both of these sides, so we recommend making your decisions on a case-by-case basis. That being said, we broke down the main reasons why you should and shouldn’t change your IP address.
» How To: Get a UK IP Address
Why You Should Change Your IP Address
- Avoid tracking : If you’ve ever searched for anything related to consumerism, then you probably already notice how your searches seem to follow you around the internet like you owe them money. This sort of tracking is made possible by cookies, which some antivirus software can disable.
- Bypass government restrictions : Governments like China greatly restrict internet usage in their country, so if you want to bypass firewalls, changing your IP address is a must.
- Access international servers : Maybe you simply want to see what’s on Netflix Canada from your apartment in California. By changing your IP address to a Canadian one, you can trick the streaming giant into showing you a whole lot of new content.
FYI: Not all VPNs are compatible with Netflix. To find one that’s right for you, read our review of the best VPNs for Netflix .
- Gain privacy : Maybe you’re an activist, a journalist, or anyone else handling sensitive information, or maybe you just don’t want your Internet Service Provider to track your every move. If that’s the case, changing your IP address is a step in the right direction in terms of privacy.
- Increase security : Most people think nothing of joining public Wi-Fi networks (and depending on your settings, this may even happen automatically). However, using public Wi-Fi opens up a slew of security risks, with hacking at the forefront. But by hiding your real IP address, you greatly lower your risk of hackings .
Why You Shouldn’t Change Your IP Address
- Some websites won’t work : Some websites, like the aforementioned Netflix, won’t work with certain VPNs or proxies. So while they may be able to bypass government restrictions, that doesn’t stop individual websites from blocking certain IP addresses.
- Not always legal : Depending on where you are, VPNs may not be legal ; they’re banned in China, Belarus, Iran and a few other countries, so keep that in mind before you connect.
- May slow down connection : Any added encryption will slow down your browsing speeds, although the exact slowdowns will differ from service to service. Still, if you’re performing tasks that require a lot of bandwidth like streaming video or video chatting, you might experience some frustrating lag.
- Could cost money : Not all VPNs are free (except of course, the ones that are; check out the best free VPNs to see what we’re talking about). Still, free VPNs typically have limits on time, data, or servers, so if you want full coverage, you might have to pony up some dough.
- ISP’s will still be able to see IP : Even with a new IP address, your Internet Service Provider will be able to see it, so you’re never truly “private” when you’re online.
» Learn more: All about ISP Throttling
Overall, we’re of the faith that changing your IP address is a necessity at times, and we love that there’s more than one way to do it. We hope we answered all of your questions about changing your IP address, but if we didn’t, read on.
Being public digital security experts, we’re constantly inundated with a number of questions surrounding changing your IP address. Here are those questions, with, you guessed it, answers.
You can change your IP address in your device settings or by using the Tor browser, a VPN or a proxy server.
Changing your IP address may or may not be legal; it depends on how you do it and where you’re located. For example, using a VPN to change your IP address is legal in the U.S but illegal in China.
Your IP address may show a different city if you’re connected to a VPN or proxy server with servers in that city. That may be the closest server to you, or simply the one that allows for the lowest bandwidth usage.
Resetting your router may or may not change your IP address, depending on how long you wait before you turn it back on. We recommend waiting for about a day in order to get a new IP address.
Microsoft. (2020). How to change the IP address of a network adapter . docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/change-ip-address-network-adapter
SmartProxy. (2020). How to Change Your IP Address Right Now . smartproxy.com/what-is-a-proxy/change-ip
Tor Project. (2020). Browse Privately. Explore Freely . torproject.org/
Investopedia. (2020). IP Address . investopedia.com/terms/i/ip-address.asp
Linksys. (2020). Differences between IPv4 and IPv6 . https://community.fs.com/blog/ipv4-vs-ipv6-whats-the-difference.html
How to Change IP Address on Your Android Phone or iPhone
The web is everyone’s go-to space for communication, e-commerce, entertainment, and learning thanks to portable computers and mobile phones providing easy access to it. While there are many things you can do online, the virtual environment is not always safe. Cybercriminals might be lurking and ready to steal your credentials or valuable information. On a positive note, there are many things you can do to shield yourself from cyberattacks . For instance, you can opt to change the IP address for your gadget.
Interested in why you should do it and how? You have come to the right place because we will teach you more about an IP address. Moreover, the various methods you can use to change or hide it are outlined in this guide.
What Is an IP Address?
Let’s discuss it in layman’s terms first. Think of your neighborhood and the exact place where you live. The former is like the internet, while the latter is your IP address. This is because the IP or Internet Protocol Address is a unique identifier for hardware or a device that is connected to a network. Furthermore, it usually comes in a numeric Internet Protocol Version 4 (iPv4) or seldomly in the alphanumeric iPv6 configuration. For example, 126.96.36.199 and 2001:db8::ff00:57:8726, respectively.
When it comes to mobile phones, there are two types of IP addresses you should be familiar with: dynamic and static. The dynamic IP address, as the name implies, changes each time you re-establish a network connection. The keyword here is temporary because your connection will only be active for a certain amount of time. This type of IP address is commonly used in public Wi-Fi networks like those on cafes where you are given a unique user and login codes alongside the IP address. With regard to a static IP address, it does not change when you reconnect to the internet. Also, this can be configured on your own or via your ISP.
Why Change IP Address?
There are many reasons why you should or might want to change your IP address. Furthermore, they are most likely related to online security and accessibility, like for many mobile phone users. The three most common reasons below could also be the best advantages of switching IP addresses:
To Avoid Being Tracked
As much as an IP address is like a home address, it can be used to determine your physical location. For instance, cybercriminals might need it for their phishing schemes, authorities for censorship, and websites and apps for analyzing where online visits, clicks, or traffic originates.
Also Read: How to Tell if Your Phone Is Tapped and Being Tracked
To Become Anonymous Online
Sometimes, an IP address can already be associated with who you are. For example, you have provided your fixed IP address for office internet access or any other purpose in the past. As a result, your IT personnel or that specific person you shared it with already knows it is yours. To make it hard to identify you, a regular change of IP address will help.
To Bypass Blocked Websites
Website blocking prevents certain IP addresses from accessing a whole webpage or just a portion of its content. Also, the restriction can be region-based. When you change your IP address, you will be able to bypass blocked and region-locked content and services. This is a common scenario in countries that censor even the most popular pages. For instance, news, social media, and streaming services.
Are There Risks In Changing an IP Address?
To answer this straightforward, there are no serious risks to your mobile phone when the IP address is changed. On the other hand, you and your device’s security might be compromised if the method or service you rely on is not safe. For example, you used a website or app that gets your private information without you knowing or one that has malware. This is why it is important to know the various methods so you can choose well, convenience- and safety-wise.
How to Change IP Address on a Mobile Phone?
There is more than one method to change the IP address on iPhones and Android phones. In this guide, you will learn the best ways that many other mobile device users also try. Additionally, you will find most methods simple and easy to do, even if you are not an expert with gadgets.
1. Unplug and Restart Router
Your home router assigns dynamic IP addresses each time it establishes a connection, so just reboot it to repeat the process. As a result, you get a different IP address for your Android phone or iPhone. Rebooting is one of the first methods to try because it is quick to do.
Here are universal instructions for resetting a Wi-Fi router:
1. Long press on the Power On/Off button. 2. Release the button once the indicator light switches off. 3. Remove the router’s plug carefully from the wall or floor socket. 4. Plug the unit again after five to 10 seconds. 5. Hold the router’s power button until the lights switch on. 6. Scan for and connect to the Wi-Fi network using your mobile phone.
2. Make a Change IP Address Request for Router (iPhones Only)
If you are an iPhone user, you can opt not to reboot or restart the router to make it reassign or change the IP address. In fact, it is possible to request the router to give your device a dynamic IP address again through your iPhone’s settings menu.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Launch the Settings menu from the iPhone’s home screen. 2. Click on Wi-Fi among the options. 3. Look for the active Wi-Fi network you are typically using. 4. Tap the round icon with an “i” beside it. 5. On the Wi-Fi network information page, click on the Renew Lease option.
6. Confirm the action from the pop-up window.
3. Forget Network
Making the mobile device forget the network works the same as the previously discussed method. Furthermore, it can be done on Android phones and iPhones. Consequently, the gadget gets a new dynamic address once it re-establishes a new connection with the network. Below are the methods for mobile phones to forget a network:
1. Head over to your smartphone’s Settings menu. 2. Click on Connections afterward. 3. Select Wi-Fi among the options. 4. Choose the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to and tap on its cog icon.
5. Click on the Forget icon on the bottom of the screen. 6. Switch the Wi-Fi slider off then on again. 7. Once the forgotten network is detected, sign in using your credentials.
1. Open Settings from the iPhone’s home interface. 2. Click on Wi-Fi afterward. 3. Tap the round “i” icon beside the network to be forgotten. 4. Click on Forget This Network.
5. Tap Forget on the next prompt to finalize the action.
In case you encounter network issues once you reconnect or your mobile device does not detect the network, reset network settings instead. The process clears existing configurations but fixes most problems regarding Wi-Fi and mobile networks. Also, remember to back up your network credentials beforehand.
4. Assign Static IP
If you are using a dynamic IP address from your home Wi-Fi router, you might want to switch to a static IP address instead. Assigning the latter type of IP address is possible through the Android phone or iPhone’s network settings. Below are the steps on how to use a fixed IP address:
1. Go to your app dashboard from the home screen. 2. Click on the Settings icon from the dashboard. 3. Tap Connections or Wireless & Networks. 4. Click on Wi-Fi from the available options afterward. 5. Tap the cog icon for or long-press on the Wi-Fi network name you usually connect to. 6. Select Advanced or Modify Network from the next page. 7. Under IP Settings, click on the drop-down arrow beside DHCP, then select Static.
8. Make the last digits of the IP address any number between 1 and 225. 9. Click Save to finalize the setting. 10. Try a different number if the digit you chose did not work. *A combination of digits not working in Step 8 just means that the IP address is already taken by another connected device.
1. Click on the Settings icon from your iPhone’s home screen. 2. Select Wi-Fi afterward. 3. Tap the specific Wi-Fi network you want to connect to. 4. Select the Configure IPv4 option on the page.
5. Tick Manual when the checkmark is on Automatic. 6. Enter your new Static IP in iPv4 or numeric configuration on the IP address field at the bottom of the screen.
5. Use Virtual Private Network
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a service that can connect your Android phone or iPhone securely to a public Wi-Fi network. To elaborate, it hides your IP address by turning it into the VPN’s IP address that is detected by the network and encrypted. This is to protect your personal information and credentials from being stolen online. Furthermore, VPNs nowadays come in the form of apps that you can download from the Google Play Store or App Store.
In this guide, let us discuss two of the best VPN for Android and iOS devices, NordVPN and PureVPN , and how to use them to change the IP address. Both apps are free to download but will require you to pay a monthly fee to access the full service. Follow the instructions below:
1. Subscribe to the service through the NordVPN Checkout Page . 2. Download and install the NordVPN app on your Android phone or iPhone. 3. Sign in to your account on the app afterward. 4. Select your country of choice to switch to the VPN IP address associated with that region. 5. You have a new IP address afterward, so you can start surfing the web.
Download from Google Play Store
Download from the App Store
1. Avail the trial or subscription from the PureVPN Order Page . 2. Download and install the PureVPN app from the Google Play Store or App Store. 3. Launch the app on your mobile phone afterward. 4. Login using the email address and password you used for the subscription account. 5. Click on the central button on the app’s home interface to start a connection with a new IP address.
6. Use Tor Browser (Android Only)
Tor is a browser that can lend your device its IP addresses so you can browse websites securely and access blocked pages. It supports data encryption, but not the two-way type. To explain, only the information sent from your gadget to the Tor network is protected. Despite this, it is used by many to mask or change the IP address on a computer.
There is a way to use Tor Browser on a mobile phone and that is through the Orbot: Tor app. Note that it is only applicable to Android devices for now.
Here is how to use Orbot: Tor:
1. Download the Orbot: Tor app from the Google Play Store. 2. Install it on your Android phone afterward. 3. Set it to your preferred language as prompted. 4. Read the Terms & Conditions and proceed if all that is stated is fine with you. 5. Choose the pop-up option that lets you continue without Superuser access. *Superuser access requires you to root your Android phone , which compromises device safety and voids warranty. 6. Remember or jot down the Orbot-compatible browsers from the list that will appear on the screen. 7. Tap Next or Continue until the Finish button appears. 8. Once taken back to the Orbot app home interface, click the power or start/stop icon to activate it.
9. Install your browser of choice which you have taken note of from the list. 10. Your IP address will be masked with a Tor IP address, so you can surf the web on the new browser app safely.
Also Read: Failed to Obtain IP Address Error: How to Fix It on Android
7. Contact Internet Service Provider
If you do not want to change your IP address on your own and want the experts to do it, contact your ISP. In fact, most if not all ISPs allow it but have rules and limitations on reissuing dynamic IP addresses or requesting for a static one.
If you just want to change the dynamic IP address, though, it might not be worth the time because what will be assigned to you will also change. In fact, the better option to take is to request a static IP address.
As you request for a static IP address, you will be asked for your current IP address and other information, so have the former written down on a piece of paper. Moreover, the service will come at a price so make sure you have the budget for this.
Out of all the methods discussed in this guide, you might be wondering which one is the best to try. If you ask us, our answer would depend on two factors: simplicity and safety. For the former, it is the router change IP address methods that can be done from within the settings of your Android phone or iPhone. In terms of the latter, it is VPN that is the most effective. Alternatively, you can test everything to know what works well for your device. After all, this is the best way to evaluate every technique you find online.
- Buying Guides
How To Turn On WiFi Calling Xperia Z5 Compact
- How To Activate Ok Google On Samsung S20
How much does it cost to fix a samsung s20 screen, how to take pictures of stars with samsung s20, what earphones work with samsung s20 fe, where is auto rotate on samsung s20, how to lock samsung s20 screen when watching video.
How to Change Your IP Address on Android?
By Shanika W. . 29 April 2023
As you may already know, a device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address — whether dynamic or static — is its assigned 32-bit numerical label that can identify its host or network interface and location. You may want to change your IP address or switch it from dynamic to static; we’ll discuss these later.
For now, let’s get into what you really came here for. You’ll be happy to know that, with this straightforward guide, changing your IP address on an Android should be a cinch. You have two options to go about it:
- By using a reliable VPN
- By changing network and internet settings
I’ll walk you through each one…
I provide two options for doing so: using a reliable VPN or changing network and internet settings.
I walk you through each option and provide step-by-step instructions for changing your IP address using a VPN and for changing your device’s network and internet settings.
I also discuss the benefits of using a VPN to change your IP address and the reasons why someone might want to change their IP address.
Using a Reliable VPN
A VPN can protect your internet traffic and your privacy. You can change your IP address to another one to conceal your IP. This is the most secure way to be anonymous on the internet.
1. First, you’ll need to sign up for a reliable and good VPN , such as ExpressVPN , NordVPN, SurfShark, or PureVPN.
2. Visit the Google Play Store and download the relevant apps for your Android mobile.
3. Install the app, open it, and enter your login credentials.
4. To connect, select the location or server of your choice. Sometimes called the “Smart Location”, whatever is recommended is generally best.
Your IP address will change, and no one will know your device’s IP. This is the best-proven way to stay anonymous online.
Changing Your Device’s Network and Internet Settings
These settings apply to any device with the Android operating system installed, be it Huawei, Samsung, Xiaomi, Google, or others. Making changes to the settings is easy.
1. Choose an Available Static IP Address
Before you change your IP address, several things must be done. One is choosing an available static IP address on your local network. This could be done with any computer connected to the local network.
If you have a Windows machine, do the following:
- Type cmd on your Start Menu and click on the Command Prompt desktop application.
- Enter ipconfig/all in the command prompt window and press Enter.
- Check the Default Gateway, DNS Servers, and IPV4 Address details in the command prompt output. Let me briefly introduce what they are and why they’re important for the next step.
The default gateway is another IP address that the traffic you send from your device gets to when its final destination is outside the current local network.
This is the local network’s router’s private IP address. So, all the devices connected to this network send traffic to this IP address by default.
This address is the device you’re currently active on or from which you enter the above commands.
DNS stands for Domain Name System. Many services operated on the internet or your local area networks, such as Mail servers and web servers, use DNS and are very important. ISPs use DNS server caching to minimize the traffic and avoid bottlenecks.
- Now, to find an available IP address on your local area network, use the ping command on different IP addresses shown in the network. I suggest you start from the router IP or the Default Gateway IP address and keep the process going until you find a free IP address.
This is how to use the ping command:
- How can you determine if it’s available? Simple. If the ping command gives you an output with a response time, an active device on the network is already assigned with the particular IP address. However, if you receive a response that says, “Destination host unreachable,” it’s available and is a possible candidate for your static IP address.
2. Change the IP address on Your Android Mobile Phone
You’ve probably decided what IP address to choose as your static IP address. Now let’s get on with the actual switching.
- Go to your device Settings.
- Head over to the Network & Internet section.
- Tap on Wi-Fi , where you’ll see all the available connections and the one you’re connected to.
- Press and hold the Wi-Fi network your device is already connected to.
- There, tap on Modify network .
- Tap on Advanced options .
- Find the IP Settings section. You may have to scroll down.
- By default, your IP Settings must be set to DHCP. Tap on it and change it to “Static.”
- Fill out the form and configure the network settings manually.
Remember the three critical addresses we discussed? You’ll have to fill out all those details when manually configuring. Here’s where you can use them.
- For the IP address field, enter the free IP address you found earlier in Step 1.
- Then enter the default gateway address (the router’s IP address).
- Enter the DNS Server addresses you found in Step 1.
- Leave the other fields as default and then save.
That’s it. All done!
Once completed all these steps, your device will reconnect to the home network with the new IP address.
As I mentioned, people want to change their IP address for numerous reasons. If you’ve read this far into the article, I bet one or more of the following reasons apply to you:
- To share mobile files with FTP server software
- To use your mobile phone as a Wi-Fi camera
- To access specific online content (e.g., Netflix, government-restricted sites) when you’re in a geo-blocked location.
- To run a mobile web server
- To run a mobile media server on your mobile phone
- To boost your speed because you’re on a network that’s providing controlled bandwidths for different IPs
- To avoid being the victim of cyberattacks
- To exercise freedom of speech in a place where it might otherwise be restricted
Fortunately, nothing should hold you back from doing any of that because now you know how to change your IP address and get a static IP instead of a dynamic IP. And as you’ve seen, this is easy to set up.
Please put your comments and suggestions in the comment section, and ask away if you have any questions!
Shanika Wickramasinghe is a software engineer by profession. She works for WSO2, one of the leading open-source software companies in the world. One of the biggest projects she has worked on is building the WSO2 identity server which has helped her gain insight on security issues. She is keen to share her knowledge and considers writing as the best medium to do so. Cybersecurity is one of her favorite topics to write about.
Being a graduate in Information Technology, she has gained expertise in Cybersecurity, Python, and Web Development. She is passionate about everything she does, but apart from her busy schedule she always finds time to travel and enjoy nature.
- Connect with the author:
October 28, 2022 3:02 pm
It seems that for everbody using an android phone is connected to a wifi spot. Nowhere is showed how to change IP address when you’re using mobile data.
October 26, 2022 3:13 pm
it was a good tutorial, especially the android part.
October 5, 2020 9:49 am
Surfshark works nicely on my Android phone, haven’t had any issues with connectivity. They also have pretty dope features in addition to the VPN service itself.
Leave a Comment Cancel
Save my name and email in this browser for the next time I comment.
Simple, Useful Tricks on Google Products
How To Change IP Address on Android (Local and Public)
The IP address is used to identify you on the internet, and there can be many reasons why you may want to change your identity on the internet. Whether you want to access blocked content , set up a server, or avoid penalties from websites and forums, changing your IP address is the way to go. As compared to desktop, the steps to change IP address on Android is very different. Especially because Android supports mobile network connection as well.
No worries though, in this guide I’ll show you multiple ways to change IP address on Android. I will separately show how to change both local and public IP address along with an explanation of what each type of IP address is used for.
Note: Before following the below instructions to change IP address, make sure you know your current IP address so you could confirm later that it has been changed. For precise instructions, follow my guide on how to find IP address on Android .
How to change local IP address on Android
The local IP address is assigned by your network router to each device that is connected to it. The router uses it to identify connected devices and exchange information accordingly. If you are interested in providing custom IP addresses to each connected device while setting up a server or app, then follow the below instructions to change local IP address on Android:
1. Go to “Settings” and tap on “WiFi” option.
2. Here tap and hold on the network you are connected to and select “Manage network settings” from the menu that pops up.
3. Now tap on “Show advanced options” and select “Static” under the “IP settings” option.
4. Now just enter a custom IP address (range provided below) under the “IP address” section and hit “Save” to change the IP address.
If you don’t already know the new IP address that you want to enter, then you can pick one from the ranges given below:
- From 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
- From 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
- From 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
For example, you can enter 10.23.103.250 or 192.168.1.20 and the address will be accepted. Just make sure that the IP address lies in the above-provided ranges.
Alternatively, you can also use an IP address changer app for Android that will let you enter required IP address in its interface to switch to it easily. For this purpose, IP CHANGE is a good IP changer app.
Note: The above instructions are only applicable to a WiFi connection, mobile data local IP address can’t be changed on the primary device.
How to change public IP address on Android
Every web page or service on the internet uses your public IP address to identify you and then offer information. If you want to change your identity on the internet or need to access blocked content, then you need to change your public IP address.
Unfortunately, public IP address is in full control of your internet service provider. If your ISP uses dynamic IP address (most do), then it should be easy to change IP address. Otherwise, you’ll have to depend on a VPN to mask your IP address. Below are some ways to change public IP address on Android.
Change public IP address on a WiFi network
For WiFi networks, simply restarting your router is all you may need to change public IP address. If your ISP assigns dynamic IP addresses, then whenever you will restart your router it will fetch a new IP address from a pool of IP addresses. Just turn off your router and wait for 2-5 minutes. Turn it back on and check if the IP address is changed or not . It may not work every time, so you should at least try this twice.
Change public IP address on a mobile network
If you are using mobile data, then the IP address provided by your carrier can also be changed. To do so, turn on Airplane mode from the notification panel (swipe down from top) and wait for 1-2 minutes. Now turn it off and the IP address should be changed. Alternatively, you can also use this IP address changer app called IP Changer that basically does the same thing but also keeps a history of IP addresses.
Contact your internet service provider
If the above doesn’t help, then you can also contact your ISP and ask them to change your IP address. This step is usually necessary when your ISP is using a static IP address.
Use a VPN to change IP address on Android
If nothing works, then a VPN is a sure shot way to change your IP address on Android. Best of all, a VPN will even let you pick an IP address available in a different country, basically allowing you to spoof your location as well. All you need to do is install a VPN app and press the connect button. Once connected, whether you are using WiFi or mobile data, your public IP address will be changed to the one provided by the VPN app.
There are many VPN apps available for Android , but if you particularly want a free one then Turbo VPN is a great choice. It offers unlimited data for free with a very fast browsing speed.
If Turbo VPN doesn’t work for you, then Opera browser built-in VPN and TunnelBear are also great choices. Although, if you don’t want ads and are strict about privacy, then I will recommend you to go for a paid VPN service. The free VPN services usually keep a record of your activity for advertising purposes. However, for accessing restricted content, free VPNs do a perfect job of changing your IP address.
It’s really easy to change local IP address on your Android phone, but for public IP address, it’s better to go for a VPN service. Do share with us in the comments why you were looking to change IP address on your Android phone.
Was this post helpful?
Tags: change How To
For over 9 years, Karrar has been writing about everything Google and Windows with a strict focus on improving security and finding ways to get more out of our devices.
Transmit Music & Other Audio via the Phone’s Earpiece Using This App
14 Jul, 2017
2 Ways To Use Mobile Data in Flight Mode on Android
30 Nov, 2022
Plan Routes, Add Multiple Stops & Create Efficient Routes Using Circuit
29 Jun, 2017
- Pingbacks 0
i tried chnaging my ip adres it was saved but internet didint work only the wifi was connected
I’m trying to use a USA international number I purchased from primo as my Whatsapp number but Whatsapp keep saying that the number cannot be called that I should try in an hour time. I’ve not been able to register the number as my Whatsapp number here in Nigeria.
hey, I have just read out your article and found very helpful in changing the IP address…just keep working
Wow! This trick is straightforward. I read this post and understood it within minutes. Thank You for such informative posts.
how to get mobile data and deleed data of facebook massanger and what app .. throught ip address of mobile no.. or other regards 9687682771
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Get Google This Week - Our Weekly Newsletter
Don't subscribe All Replies to my comments Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.
We are unofficial tech blog that covers little known tips and tricks of Google Products… read more . We are not affiliated with Google.
- Google Earth
- Google Maps
- Google Docs
Android Phone Overheating? Here Are 11 Ways To Cool Down Your Android Phone
7 Dec, 2023
How to Write the Perfect YouTube Channel Description: 10 Essential Elements
How To Share Your Google Calendar With Other People
How To Download HEIC Photos as JPG in Google Photos
5 Dec, 2023
- Popular Posts
- Recent Comments
Android Phone Keeps Turning Off? Here is How To Easily Fix It
How to Add Your Name or Image in Google Search
How To Create a YouTube Account Without Gmail
2 Ways To Use Text-To-Speech in Google Docs to Read Aloud Text
How To Fix Android “No Command” Error – A Definitive Guide
- Rishu says: My Gmail is hack
- Bruh says: This worked
- Krishna Gupta says: My about detail my instagram account Krishna_gupta_6397
- Krishna Gupta says: My name is Krishna Gupta My hobbies reading plying and song...
- Krishna Gupta says: add me to google